Angel is a Shareholder in Maynard Nexsen’s Litigation Practice. An accomplished trial lawyer, Angel brings more than 20 years of experience to her clients, focusing her practice on the defense of consumer class actions, ERISA litigation, product liability, and commercial litigation. She has litigated a variety of cases, including: Investment Company Act, Section 36(b) management fee cases, ERISA fee litigation and breach of fiduciary class actions, health care class actions, and labor and employment class actions. Angel’s experience also includes representing clients in sophisticated liability and general commercial matters.
Passionate about client-centric service, Angel recognizes the advantage of being inventive and resourceful in serving her clients. There is no ‘one size fits all’ approach in litigation. Understanding her client’s business and unique needs allows her to deliver on the outcomes her clients have come to expect.
Benchmark Litigation has recognized Angel as one of the Top 250 Women in Litigation since 2012.
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- Iowa Defense Counsel Association
- Defense Research Institute – Women in Law Committee, Women in Law Program Marketing Subcommittee, Product Liability Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel – Trial Techniques and Tactics Committee, Products Liability Committee, Business Litigation Committee
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Iowa Women Lead Change (IWLC) Board Member (2009-2016)
- Rozo v. Principal Life Insurance Company, 4:14-cv-00463 (S.D. Iowa, Apr. 9, 2021) – defense verdict in ERISA class action.
- Nelsen, et al v. Principal Life v. Principal Global Investors Trust Company, et al., 4:18-cv-00115 (S.D. Iowa) – obtained voluntary dismissal after denial of class certification.
- Anderson, et al. v. Principal Life Insurance Company, et al., 4:15-cv-00119 (S.D. Iowa, 2015) -- ERISA class action.
- Petitt, et al., v. Principal Life Insurance Company, et al., 4:15-cv-00127 (S.D. Iowa, 2015) – ERISA class action.
- American Chemicals & Equipment, Inc. 401(k) Retirement Plan v. Principal Management Corporation, 4:15-cv-00302 (S.D. Iowa, Feb. 29, 2016); 864 F.3d 859 (8th Cir. July 24, 2017) – Investment Company Act, Section, 36(b) management fee litigation.
- McCaffree Financial Corporation on Behalf of the McCaffree Financial Corporation Employee Retirement Program v. Principal Life Insurance Company, 4:14-cv-00102 (S.D. Iowa, Dec. 10, 2014); 811 F.3d 998 (8th Cir. Jan. 8, 2016) – ERISA class action.
- Ventura et al., v. Principal Management Corporation, 4:15-cv-00481 (S.D. Iowa) – obtained voluntary dismissal in Investment Company Act, 36(b) management fee litigation.
- York et al., v. Wellmark, Inc. d/b/a Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa, et al., 4:16-cv-000627 (S.D. Iowa, Feb. 2019) – class action.
- Benchmark Litigation, Top 250 women in Litigation (2012-present), Local Litigation Star
- Martindale-Hubble AV® Preeminent
- Litigation Counsel of America Fellow
- Great Plains Super Lawyers – Civil Litigation Defense (2012, 2015-2017), Personal Injury: Products: Defense (2018-2020)
- American Bar Foundation Fellow
- Recognized as a "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Litigation - Banking and Finance, Litigation (ERISA), Product Liability Litigation - Defendants (2023)
- State Bar: Iowa
- U.S. District Court: Iowa (Northern, Southern)
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Eighth Circuit