Joe Bird is a registered patent attorney, litigator, and member of Maynard Nexsen’s Intellectual Property Practice Group. He prosecutes, litigates, and counsels clients regarding patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and restrictive covenants. Since 1982, Joe has gained broad experience in all aspects of intellectual property law.
He has been a registered patent attorney in the USPTO since 2001. He regularly prosecutes patent applications and counsels clients about patents in the US and supervises these activities in Europe, China, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and other countries in Asia and South America. He also has experience in post-grant review, including IPRs and re-examinations, and in federal district court patent litigation. His practice includes clients in bioelectronics, neurotechnology, cognitive neuroscience inventions, optical and audio devices, software and manufacturing processes, and mechanical devices.
In 2001, Joe completed the coursework for a Master of Science in Vision Science at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, covering all aspects of the visual system including neurobiology, cognitive neuroscience, physiological optics, biochemistry, and genetics. Before 2001 he was strictly a litigator, trying more than 30 cases to final verdict (jury and non-jury) and handling appeals, including in trade secret and restrictive covenant cases. His prior litigation experience also included national counsel teams for two pharmaceutical companies in which neurological injuries were alleged.
He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America© in the categories of Patent Law, Litigation-Intellectual Property, Litigation-Patent, Information Technology Law, and Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice, and Joe was recognized as the 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” in the area of Litigation: Intellectual Property in his market. The breadth of his experience enables him to advise clients with almost any intellectual property issue.
Community & Professional
- Alabama Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Litigation-Intellectual Property, Litigation-Patent, and Patent Law (2016-present); Information Technology Law (2018-present); Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice (2021-present)
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" for Litigation - Patent (2021); Litigation: Intellectual Property (2019)
- Recognized as a "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation
- Birmingham Magazine "Top Attorneys" for Intellectual Property (2016)
- Blog, 07.23.2019
- State Bar: Alabama
- U.S. District Court: Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern)
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Supreme Court of Alabama