Tom Goodhue is an experienced trial lawyer who represents clients in commercial and administrative disputes throughout the United States. He draws on his experience as a trial lawyer at the Federal Trade Commission and as an attorney at an international law firm to partner with clients and efficiently resolve antitrust, consumer, estate, corporate governance, real estate, construction, and contract disputes.
Tom has represented clients in state and federal courts in Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Iowa, before various state and federal administrative agencies, including the Federal Trade Commission, and before international arbitral tribunals in London and Paris under the auspices of the International Chamber of Commerce and International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes.
Tom maintains a robust regulatory compliance practice to help clients avoid costly and burdeonsome government investigations. He counsels clients on compliance with state and federal consumer protection laws and regulations governing advertising, credit reporting, and other consumer matters, including compliance with the FTC’s Green Guides, Made in USA labelling rules, and Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials. Tom also helps guide individuals and businesses large and small through civil investigations by the FTC, Department of Justice, and Iowa Attorney General’s Office.
Tom is a member of the Iowa, Maryland, and District of Columbia bars. He practiced law in the District of Columbia for 11 years before returning to his native state of Iowa, where he takes an active role in managing his family’s farm south of Des Moines.
Tom earned his J.D. from the University of Iowa College of Law where he served as an articles editor of The Iowa Law Review, and holds a Bachelors degree, magna cum laude, from Haverford College, where he was selected to Phi Beta Kappa.
Community & Professional
- Haverford College Corporation (governing body of the college) (2012 – 2017)
- Haverford College Lawyers Network (2016 – present)
- Vice Chair, Mediation Subcommittee of American Bar Association (2017-2020)
- Reporter, International Bar Association Committee on Rules (2016 – 2017)
- F.T.C. v. FTN Promotions, Inc., No. 8:07-CV-1279-T-30TGW, 2014 WL 197718, at *1 (M.D. Fla. Jan. 13, 2014) – Obtained judgment of $15 million on behalf of consumers following trial in successful action against business posing as a pay day loan company.
- Heartland Co-op v. Nelson, 938 N.W.2d 722 (Iowa Ct. App. 2019) – Obtained a jury verdict for over $800,000 in action for breach of contract.
- PHEAA v. Libbie(Iowa District Ct. June, 2021) – Lead counsel in action obtaining summary judgment awarding damages for breach of contract and attorneys’ fees.
- Sewell v. Am. Educ. Servs./PHEAA, 670 F. App'x 184 (4th Cir. 2016) – Represented student loan company in successful defense of Fair Credit Reporting Act claims.
- REG Washington, LLC v. Bush, 952 N.W.2d 329 (Iowa Ct. App. 2020) – Obtained summary judgment on behalf of client in action arising from share purchase agreement.
- Miminco, LLC v. Democratic Republic of the Congo, 79 F. Supp. 3d 213 (D.D.C. 2015) - Obtained confirmation of an arbitral award rendered under the Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes Between States and Nations, in a groundbreaking decision.
- Standard Chartered Bank v. United Republic of Tanzania, ICSID Case No. ARB/10/12 (November 12, 2012) - Successfully defended the United Republic of Tanzania in an international investment arbitration filed under the United Kingdom-Tanzania Bilateral Investment Treaty alleging (i) expropriation, (ii) discrimination (denial of fair and equal treatment), and (iii) denial of justice.
- Ann Chae v. SLM Corp., No. CV 07-2319-ER(RCX), 2008 WL 11343020 (C.D. Cal. Feb. 22, 2008) – Represented student loan company in successful defense against various consumer law claims in a class action dispute with hundreds of millions of dollars at issue.
- Represented businesses and individuals in investigations and matters before the Iowa Utilities Board, Iowa Dental Board, Iowa Attorney General’s Office, Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board, and Iowa Department of Revenue.
- Led FTC investigation of an office supply scam in which several individuals defrauded consumers of more than $120 million over several decades, which ultimately resulted in criminal convictions.
- Represented Lebanese real estate developer in international arbitrations and litigation in Lebanon, Paris, and Maryland concerning the operation of a prominent Beirut hotel.
- As a trial lawyer at the FTC, brought multiple successful administrative actions against companies for violating the FTC’s “Green Guides,” which sets standards for making “green” advertising claims.
- Advised companies on compliance with the FTC Act, the FTC’s Green Guides, Guides Concerning Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising, Made in the USA rules, and other FTC rules and guidelines.
- Audited clients’ advertisements and marketing for compliance with FTC rules and guidelines.
- Great Plains Super Lawyers – Business Litigation (2021, 2022)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation (2023)
- May 2022: "Effective Mediation for Your Clients – Practical Insights for Every Stage of the Mediation"
- April 2022: "FTC’s Prohibition on Unfair and Deceptive Marketing Practices: What You Need to Know" (Indianapolis, Indiana)
- April 2020: panel presentation Consumer Litigation Developments (Des Moines, Iowa)
- February 2020: panel presentation Estate Law Developments (West Des Moines, Iowa)
- January 2019: presentation Drafting Arbitration Clauses (Des Moines, Iowa)
- February 2018: panel presentation Iowa Business Litigation Developments (Des Moines, Iowa)
- May 2015: presentation Greenwashing and The FTC’s Green Guides (George Washington University, Washington, D.C.)
- Contributor, ABA Consumer Law Developments, 2014
- Federal Trade Commission Proposes Ban on Non-Competes, The Iowa Lawyer, March 2023
- When a “Tribunal” is Not a Tribunal: Obtaining Discovery in Aid of International Commercial Arbitration, International Bar Association North American Regional Forum, 2016
- Trans-Pacific Partnership Calls for International Arbitration of Disputes, Daily Business Review, 2016
- Bypassing the Federal Arbitration Act’s Three-Year Statute of Limitations, International Arbitration News, 2015
- Wikipedia Dispute Resolution, American Bar Association Commercial & Business Litigation Newsletter, 2011
- Appellate Review of Remand Orders: A Substantive/Jurisdictional Conundrum, Iowa Law Review, 2006
- 08.23.2023 | Article
- State Bar: Iowa, District of Columbia, Maryland (Inactive)
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Fourth Circuit, Eighth Circuit, District of Columbia Circuit
- Federal Courts: District Courts for the District of Columbia, Maryland (Inactive), Southern District of Iowa, Northern District of Iowa, and Eastern District of Wisconsin