Michael is a Shareholder and Chair of the Firm's Corporate and Business Transactions Practice. He has over 20 years of experience advising companies and their boards of directors in mergers, acquisitions, strategic alliances, private equity transactions, corporate governance issues, and intellectual property transfers. He represents clients on both the sale-side and buy-side of transactions, many of which involve middle-market companies and deals ranging from $10 Million to $1 Billion.
Michael’s clients span a broad range of industries, having a particular concentration in the biotechnology, digital, aerospace, and defense markets. With his expansive industry knowledge and diverse client base, Michael is frequently handling cross-border issues related to mergers, acquisitions, defense and aerospace industry requirements, and the transfer and licensing of intellectual property, as well as other types of business matters. He has experience advising companies and individuals on federal, state, and local tax issues, and small business owners on business succession issues, including the structuring and financing of employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs).
Martindale-Hubbell® awarded Michael an AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating for his legal abilities and strong professional standards in the areas of Corporate Law, Business Law, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Divestitures. His talents have also earned him recognition as a leading attorney in the areas of Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, and Venture Capital Law by The Best Lawyers in America©. He was selected to serve as the 2017 Chairman of the Southeastern Business Law Institute.
Community & Professional
- Southeastern Business Law Institute, 2017 Chair
- American Bar Association (Business and Finance Section)
- Alabama Bar Association (Business Section)
- Tennessee Bar Association (Business and Finance Section)
- District of Columbia Bar Association (Business and Finance Section)
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
- Huntsville Finance and Estate Planning Council
- Association of Corporate Growth
- Boys and Girls Club of North Alabama, Board Member
- BBVA Compass Bank, Member North Alabama Advisory Board
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Corporate Law (2008-present); Mergers and Acquisitions (2010-present); Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law (2021-present), Venture Capital Law (2023)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent rating
- "Selling a Government Contractor: Exit Strategies" - National Center For Simulation (Webinar) 2021
- State Bar: Alabama, Tennessee, Washington, D.C.