Hardwick is a leader in Maynard Nexsen’s Tax Practice. He regularly counsels clients of all sizes in all areas of business matters including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, venture capital transactions, and business formations. Hardwick has extensive experience in counseling clients on tax-favored transactions and structures including tax-free reorganizations, tax-deferred equity rollovers, like-kind exchanges, and interest charge - domestic international sales corporations (IC-DISC). He also has represented a number of clients in their direct and syndicated investments in tax credit-financed projects involving the utilization of low-income housing tax credits, new markets tax credits, and historic preservation tax credits.
Hardwick regularly advises clients in the areas of federal and state tax planning and controversy matters. He has represented numerous clients in highly complex tax planning for international operations and investments, as well as advised foreign clients who are making investments in the United States.
Hardwick earned his B.A. from Vanderbilt University and his J.D., magna cum laude, from The University of Alabama School of Law. He received his LL.M. from New York University. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America© since 2009 in the areas of Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Nonprofit/Charities Law, Economic Development Law, and Tax Law.
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association, Business and Tax Sections
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Economic Development Association of Alabama
- Represented Baptist Health System in the five-hospital joint venture transaction with Brookwood Health System (a subsidiary of Tenet Health) in the Birmingham/Central, Alabama region, creating one of the largest health systems in the State
- Represented investors in both entry and exit of low income housing tax credit partnerships
- Negotiated economic incentives for new and expanding projects
- Represented taxpayers in tax controversies at federal, state and local levels
- Represented clients in tax planning for international joint ventures in Asia and Europe and advised foreign clients making investments in the U.S.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Non-Profit/Charities Law and Tax Law (2009-present); Economic Development Law (2016 - present)
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" for Non-Profit/Charities Law (2017, 2024), Economic Development Law (2022)
- 08.17.2023 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- Blog, 05.24.2017
- State Bar: Alabama