David Ferrell concentrates his law practice in civil matters, including civil litigation, professional liability defense, energy and public utilities, legislative representation and lobbying, eminent domain and real estate litigation, administrative and regulatory matters, government contracts, and construction litigation.
David represents architects, engineers, project owners, contractors, and liability carriers in a variety of construction, professional liability, insurance coverage, employment and contract disputes, as well as in other matters. David represents clients in financial services, title insurance and securities litigation. His practice is broad in scope and includes mediation, arbitration and litigation in state and federal courts.
David is a North Carolina registered lobbyist and has experience in state, local and executive branch lobbying, grass roots campaigns, and regulatory compliance. His government relations experience includes a diverse group of clients and a wide range of issues, which has allowed him to appear in and monitor legislation in most of the standing legislative committees and interim study committees.
David represents energy, electric, water, and other utilities in various matters, including regulatory proceedings, right-of-way acquisition, eminent domain, and general liability matters. He serves as general counsel to Pitt & Greene Electric Membership Corporation. David regularly represents clients before the North Carolina Utilities Commission and other regulatory agencies. He also represents landowners faced with condemnation by state DOT projects, working closely with engineers, appraisers and surveyors in these matters.
David’s civil litigation and business law practice includes representing businesses in construction matters, employment law litigation, and business disputes. His administrative and regulatory practice focuses on representing businesses and individuals before professional licensing boards, state and local regulatory and permitting agencies, and other similar agencies. David also serves as general counsel to North Carolina business and trade associations, as well as to state professional licensing boards.
Community & Professional
- Professionalism Committee Member, Wake County Bar Association
- Bench/Bar Committee Member, Wake County Bar Association
- Bench - Bar Liaison Committee Member, NC Bar Association
- Section Council Member, Administrative Law Section, NC Bar Association
- Chair of Ethics Committee, Administrative Law Section, NC Bar Association
- Chair, Legislative Committee, Litigation Section, NC Bar Association
- Mediator and Member, Fee Dispute Resolution Committee - Tenth Judicial District Bar
- Member and Past Chair, North Carolina Electric Membership Corporations' Counsel Association
- Member, Electric Coop Bar Association
- Member, NC Professional Lobbyist Association
- Legislative Committee Member, American Council of Engineering Companies
- Legislative Committee Member, Carolinas Associated General Contractors
- Stewardship Committee Member, Hayes Barton United Methodist Church
- Volunteer and Merit Badge Instructor, BSA Troop 395, White Memorial Presbyterian Church
- Past Chair, Board of Directors - March of Dimes, Eastern North Carolina
- Leadership Raleigh - Class of 2017, Raleigh Chamber of Commerce
- North Carolina Super Lawyers “Rising Star”, Civil Litigation 2009 & 2010; Professional Liability Defense 2011.
- Fellow - Washington D.C. Institute of Professional Leadership, Education Policy Fellowship Program
- NC Land Title Association's Annual Meeting/CLE: on legislative issues and recent stautory changes of interest to real estate attorneys, title insurance agents and title insurance companies, September 15-16, 2017
- Attorneys Title CLE: on legislative issues and recent statutory changes of interest to real estate attorneys, title insurance agents and title insurance companies, July 12, 2017
- Southern Land Title Agency CLE: on Right of Way Acquisition and Condemnation Law, January 18, 2017
- 12.01.2021 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- 07.30.2020 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- 06.02.2023 | Article
- 06.02.2023 | Article
- 03.02.2023 | Article
David Ferrell discusses recent actions by the North Carolina Legislature and expected 2023 items to be addressed, as well as other news in North Carolina politics.
- State Bar: North Carolina
- U.S. District Court: North Carolina (Eastern, Middle, Western)
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court