Beth is Chair of Maynard's Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation team. She is also a member of the Firm's Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
Her experience is a valuable asset not only to the Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation team, but also to other practice groups within the Firm which she is actively involved, including the Public Company Advisory, Mergers & Acquisitions and Fund Formation & Investment Management practices.
Beth advises clients on matters related to employee benefits and executive compensation including 409A compliance, severance, employee benefits issues in mergers and acquisitions, benefits-related labor relations issues, benefits-related bankruptcy issues, and proceedings before government agencies (IRS and DOL) relating to benefits and compensation matters.
She has more than 27 years of employee benefits experience, and she advises clients with respect to, and drafts, all types of executive compensation programs and employee benefit plans, including qualified and nonqualified retirement, deferred compensation, profit sharing, 401(k), defined benefit (including cash balance) and employee stock ownership plans (ESOP). Beth also advises clients with respect to, and drafts, welfare plans (e.g. health, dental, disability, cafeteria, flex accounts, educational assistance programs, and employee assistance programs), fringe benefits, and perquisites and with respect to both insured and self-insured arrangements, including advising clients with respect to Health Care Reform compliance.
She represents corporations and executives in connection with executive, board and management compensation issues, including all types of stock and cash compensation and deferral programs. She works with plan sponsors, trust departments and plan administrators on fiduciary, tax, securities, trust and corporate law issues relating to benefits and compensation.
Beth has been distinguished as a leader in the field, including rankings in The Best Lawyers in America as the area’s Employee Benefits “Lawyer of the Year” and in Super Lawyers, which has included Beth among its “Top 50 Alabama Lawyers” and “Top 50 Mid-South Women Lawyers.”
Community & Professional
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Profit Sharing and 401(k) Council
- ESOP Association
- National Center for Employee Ownership (NCEO)
- Southern Employee Benefits Conference
- Children's Aid Society, Board of Directors (2014-2019)
- Women's Fund of Greater Birmingham - Smart Party Honoree 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (2007 - present)
- Best Lawyers® 2014 "Lawyer of the Year" for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- 2019 “Women to Watch,” Birmingham Business Journal
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Employee Benefits (2016-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers "Top 50 Women Mid-South Super Lawyers" (2017, 2019)
- B-Metro, Selected as a Top Attorney (2020)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Employee Benefits/ERISA (2008-2015); "Top 50 Lawyers in Alabama" (2009-2011, 2019); "Top 25 Women Lawyers in Alabama" (2009-2012, 2014-2015)
- Birmingham Magazine's 2017 "Top Attorneys" for ERISA Law
- Named Top ERISA Lawyer by Birmingham Magazine - 2011
- Birmingham Business Journal's Best of Bar 2006 and 2021 (Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation)
- 08.17.2023 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- Blog, 03.08.2019
- Blog, 02.06.2019
- Blog, 12.18.2018
- Blog, 06.03.2018
- CLIENT ALERT - DOL PROPOSES EXPANSION OF ASSOCIATION HEALTH PLANS: OPPORTUNITIES FOR BENEFITS PROFESSIONALSBlog, 01.26.2018
- DEPARTMENT OF LABOR SEEKS 90-DAY DELAY IN APPLICABILITY OF REVISED DISABILITY CLAIMS PROCEDURES FOR ERISA PLANSBlog, 10.30.2017
- Blog, 10.16.2017
- State Bar: Alabama