William is a Shareholder in the Firm's Litigation Practice. He represents clients across the United States in a variety of complex litigation, investigations, and crisis management. With innovative thinking and a practical approach to crisis situations, William counsels clients through every step of the litigation process. He focuses his practice on complex litigation in both state and federal court, and he has specific background in complex commercial litigation, appellate litigation, and securities litigation.
Prior to joining the Firm, William practiced law in Washington D.C. with a national firm.
William earned his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif and Articles Editor for the Virginia Law Review. Following law school, William served as a law clerk for the Honorable Judge William H. Pryor, Jr. on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. He also holds a B.A., summa cum laude, in History and Political Science from the University of Alabama.
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- The Federalist Society
- Birmingham Committee on Foreign Relations
- Representing Canfor Corporation as a defendant in an antitrust action in which the district court dismissed with prejudice all of plaintiff’s claims, David B. Turner Builders LLC et al v. Weyerhaeuser Company et al, 2021 WL 5869183 (S.D. Miss. Dec. 10, 2021), aff’d 2023 WL 2401587 (5th Cir. Mar. 8, 2023)
- Representing Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama and its affiliates as defendants in an action in which the court dismissed with prejudice all of plaintiff’s claims, leaving only defendants’ counterclaims surviving
- Representing Governor Kay Ivey in the assertion of executive privilege before the Alabama Supreme Court
- Representing former Secretary of Education Elisabeth DeVos against a subpoena for deposition in a lawsuit brought by a class of student borrowers
- Bringing an Administrative Procedure Act challenge against reimbursement policies of the Department of Health & Human Services and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services on behalf of RICU LLC
- Filing an amicus brief in the United States Supreme Court on behalf of members of the United States Congress in Our Lady of Guadalupe School v. Morrissey-Berru
- Bringing Fifth Amendment Takings and Illegal Exaction claims against the federal government on behalf of a large shareholder class in Starr International v. United States
- Seeking declaratory and injunctive relief against the United States and a foreign government for violations of constitutional, contractual, and property rights on behalf of a private company
- Listed in Best Lawyers, "Ones to Watch" for Appellate Practice (2024)
- 08.17.2023 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- 07.18.2023 | Media Mention
- State Bar: Alabama, New York, Washington, D.C.
- U.S. District Court: Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern), District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Fifth Circuit, Eleventh Circuit
- Hon. William H. Pryor, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals: Eleventh Circuit