Richard is a Shareholder in the Corporate and Business Transactions Practice. His practice is concentrated in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private equity, and corporate and securities law.
He has extensive experience advising clients entering into private equity transactions, assisting them in all aspects and phases of negotiating with venture capitalists, optimizing their capital structure, and maximizing exit events. Richard regularly handles mergers and acquisitions, both in the private equity sector as well as non-private equity-involved transactions. His thorough and client-focused representation includes advising boards of directors and negotiating and preparing letters of intent, definitive acquisition agreements, escrow agreements, and related documents.
Richard also assists clients with shareholders’ and directors’ meetings and advises boards of directors about fiduciary responsibilities and governance issues.
While Richard’s corporate experience encompasses a vast spectrum of industries, he has particular industry knowledge in the technology and biotechnology sectors. He uses his understanding of intellectual property issues to help clients navigate the various corporate transactions faced specifically by clients operating in the technology space. He advises clients on technology and licensing strategies, and he provides counsel on domestic and international technology licensing contracts and development agreements.
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
- Biztech (Chair, Board of Directors, 2006; Member, Board of Directors, 2015)
- Huntsville-Madison Chamber of Commerce, (Board of Directors, 2012-2014)
- University of Alabama School of Law Adjunct Professor, Mergers & Acquisitions (2009)
- United Way of Madison County (Board of Directors, 203)
- Army National Guard
- Represented bio-technology client in restructuring of its multinational business and partnering arrangements with two publicly traded companies
- Represented international client in $300 million carve out of technology business
- Represented technology client in acquisition of multiple data centers
- Represented family business in buying $30 million vending business
- Represented investment group in purchase of a State bank
- Counsel to client in sale of $100 million government services business
- Represented client in sale of ultra-wide-band technology company to publicly traded corporation for up to $40 million
- Represented technology client in venture capital investment of $2 million
- Represented technology company in $265 million sale of business
- Represented client in creation of bio-technology company and subsequent purchase of DNA business in Germany, Japan, and the United States
- Represented client in fire-protection market in $25 million sale
- Represented start-up electronics company through four rounds of preferred-stock financing valued at approximately $3 million
- Best Lawyers in America© in the areas of Corporate Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2012-present)
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" for Corporate Law (2021 and 2023), Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2020)
- State Bar: Alabama
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims