Raj is a Shareholder and member of Maynard Nexsen’s Insurance and Complex & Commercial litigation sections. Raj has substantial experience with significant federal and state court litigation. Drawing on his diverse background and small-town Texas roots, he treats each of his client’s matters with the attention and diligence required to reach the best outcome possible. While litigation is sometimes unavoidable, Raj understands the value of an efficient resolution and works toward that goal while leveraging his experience to obtain client-driven results.
Raj’s wide range of litigation experience has found him defending national health plans on claims implicating ERISA preemption matters of first impression, to handling personal injury claims in some of South Texas’s most plaintiff-friendly venues. Regardless of the nature of claim or the venue, he brings the same personal attention and drive to each case, for every client.
Raj’s litigation experience is substantial and diverse.
- Successfully defended a national health insurance company on various claims in federal and state court, including numerous multi-million-dollar claims in the Southern and Western Districts of Texas and in arbitrations arising out of alleged violations of the Texas Prompt Pay Act.
- Obtained published opinions on issues of first impression regarding federal officer jurisdiction in favor of private health insurer as well as opinions on issues of Medicare Advantage and ERISA express preemption of the Texas Prompt Pay Act.
- Reached favorable outcomes in managed care litigation involving claims brought by out-of-network healthcare providers.
- Substantial oil and gas litigation experience, including title disputes and products liability down-hole casing failures.
- Successfully defended a Fortune 500 company on numerous premises liability cases, including wrongful death claims, throughout Texas.
- Extensive experience in insurance coverage matters ranging from issues arising under windstorm policies to loss of well control policies.
- Construction litigation experience in defending numerous general contractors and project management groups in litigation arising out of allegedly defective work.
- Estate litigation experience, including defending and prosecuting will contests and litigating cases in connection with estate administrations.
Community & Professional
- Texas State Bar Association (2008 - Present)
- San Antonio Young Lawyers Association (2009 - Present)
- San Antonio Bar Association (2009 - Present)
- John Harlan Society (2008)
- Phi Delta Phi (2007)
- Alpha Tau Omega
- Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout
Outside Maynard Nexsen
When he's not in the office, Raj enjoys outdoor activities, like hunting, camping, and visiting Big Bend National Park and the Texas Coast. Raj is an avid fan of all University of Texas athletics, and he also spends as much time as possible with family and friends.
- 08.07.2023 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- State Bar: Texas