Former South Carolina Senator Paul Campbell is a driving force for business in South Carolina. He has worked on the front lines of economic development, helping to recruit some of the largest projects to the Palmetto State, including Boeing’s 787 Dreamliner operation to North Charleston.
An engineer with more than 40 years of management and engineering experience in the aluminum industry, Senator Campbell formerly served as the Southeast Regional President for Alcoa Primary Metals in Mt. Holly, SC and as Vice President of Operations for Alumax Primary Metals. He is a past president of the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers (AIME) and The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS), two major international organizations.
Between 2013 and 2020, Senator Campbell served as Executive Director and CEO for the Charleston County Aviation Authority, overseeing operations for the Charleston International Airport and the two, related general aviation airports. During his tenure the Charleston Airport enjoyed significant growth.
From 2007 to 2020, Senator Campbell served in the South Carolina Senate, representing portions of Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties. Effective December 1, 2020, Senator Campbell will serve as an advisor in the firm’s Public Policy and Governmental Affairs Group. He will combine his understanding of the legislative process with his private industry experience to help serve others.
In the South Carolina Senate, Senator Campbell chaired the Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee. He was also a former chair of the Senate Ethics Committee and member of the Senate Finance Committee, Joint Bond Review Committee, and several other Senate committees.
In 2020, Governor Henry McMaster presented Senator Campbell with The Order of the Silver Crescent, South Carolina’s award for significant contributions, leadership, volunteerism, and lifelong influence within a region or community. In 1998, Governor David Beasley presented Senator Campbell with South Carolina’s highest civilian honor – the Order of the Palmetto which recognizes extraordinary lifetime service and achievements of national or statewide significance.
Senator Campbell’s service to South Carolina includes: past chair, S. C. Manufacturers Alliance; past chair, S.C. Chamber of Commerce; member, Clemson Board of Visitors; member, Board of Governors for the School of Business and Economics at the College of Charleston; and member, South Carolina Board for Technical and Comprehensive Education.
Community & Professional
- School of Business, College of Charleston, Board of Governors
- Leadership South Carolina, Board of Regents, former Chair
- Alcoa Primary Metals, Southeast Region, former President
- Santee Cooper, former Board of Directors
- SC Manufacturers Alliance, former Chairman of the Board
- SC Chamber of Commerce, former Chairman of the Board
- Berkeley Chamber of Commerce, former President and Board member
- Clemson Board of Visitors, former Board Member
- Engineering Advisory Council, former Board Member
- American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers (AIME), former President
- The Materials Society (TMS), former President
Outside Maynard Nexsen
Paul is a member and an elder at Dorchester Presbyterian church where he has served in many roles. He and his wife, Vicki, have three children and four grandchildren.
- Recipient of The David Wilkins Legislative Leadership Award
- Recipient of The Order of the Silver Crescent Award
- Recipient of The Order of the Palmetto
- Recipient of The Distinguish Service Award
- Recipient of The Silver Beaver Award
- 11.18.2020 | News from Maynard Nexsen