Lex focuses his law practice on complex business litigation, construction litigation, real estate litigation, and commercial arbitrations. Lex is known as a lawyer who takes difficult cases that need aggressive pursuit or defense. Lex regularly appears in State Superior Courts, NC Federal Courts, the NC Business Court, and arbitrations. During law school, Lex worked at the North Carolina Court of Appeals for Judge Mark Martin. After graduating from law school, Lex began his career at a large international law firm in Atlanta, Georgia and is licensed to practice law in Georgia and North Carolina.
Some notable accomplishments include:
- Negotiating a win-win settlement after a two-week jury trial involving a dispute between shareholders of a closely held company.
- Winning a two-week jury trial involving a bitterly fought real estate ownership dispute of a Lake Norman waterfront property.
- Winning dismissal of purported $10 million fraud and unfair and deceptive trade practice claims alleged against his client in the Middle District of North Carolina federal court.
- Winning an appeal in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals for clients who were defrauded of more than $1 million; then executing on the Defendants’ multi-million dollar home to obtain payment for his clients.
Lex is dedicated to his clients and is always looking after their bottom line to achieve the best economic result possible, whether through trial, arbitration, or a negotiated settlement.
Community & Professional
- American Inn of Court, The Chief Justice William H. Bobbitt Chapter - President, 2015-2017; Treasurer, 2017-2023
- Service Juris Day, Chairman, 2009 - 2019
- Hands-On Charlotte, Board of Directors, 2008 - 2012
Outside Maynard Nexsen
4-time Iron-Distance Triathlon finisher, 2012, '13, '14, '15
7-time marathon finisher and Boston Marathon Qualifier
Lex and his wife, Amy, are the proud parents of two children. They love attending Panthers and Tar Heel games and exploring the Rocky Mountains in both the summer and winter.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation and Litigation - Construction, 2014 - present
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2010-14; Business Litigation, 2015 - present
- Legal Elite, 2013-14, '16, '18 (Construction); 2011 (Young Guns)
- 2007 Graduate of the Bar Leadership Institute, Mecklenburg County Bar
- King & Spalding Pro Bono Award, 2002
- North Carolina Law Review, 1998 - 1999
- 01.18.2023 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- 01.03.2023 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- 08.18.2022 | Firm News
- State Bar: Georgia, North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Eleventh Circuit
- Certified Mediator for NC Superior Courts