I am a corporate attorney in Charleston, where I concentrate my practice on helping clients build legal strategies that support business growth and economic vitality in the region. I am well versed in a wide range of areas, including corporate and business planning and formation, particularly in the area of taxation, commercial real estate, and economic development incentives.
My specific areas of focus include mergers and acquisitions, entity formations and governance, finance, representing major developers and investors in real estate joint ventures, purchase, and sale of equity interests, commercial real estate transactions, tax advice, including advice regarding the taxation of businesses under Sub T, Sub K, or Sub S.
I earned a Master of Laws in Taxation from the Levin College of Law at the University of Florida, where I served as the graduate editor of the Florida Tax Review. Prior to law school, I was an Infantry Captain in the U.S. Army. I served a 15-month tour in Baqubah and Baghdad, Iraq, as an Infantry Platoon Leader and an Infantry Company Executive Officer.
Community & Professional
- National Society of Accountants for Cooperatives, Member
- South Carolina Bar, Tax Law Section
- Greenville County Bar Association
- Former U.S. Army Infantry Captain
Outside Maynard Nexsen
Justin enjoys spending time laboring over his grill soaking up the sweet aroma of hickory and oak lump charcoal, while continuously working to create his latest grilled culinary masterpiece. Justin also enjoys spending time outdoors hiking, hunting and fishing. His most memorable outdoor adventure was summiting Mt. Adams located in Washington State.
- Listed in Best Lawyers, "Ones to Watch" for Business Organizations including (LLCs and partnerships), Corporate Law, & Mergers and Acquisitions Law in 2021, 2022, 2023
- Legal Elite of the Lowcountry – Agribusiness, 2022
- Graduate, Charleston Chamber's Leadership Charleston, 2018
- "Legal Elite of the Upstate" - Tax & Estate Law
- Graduate Editor, Florida Tax Review
- Book Award in State and Local Taxation
- Research Editor, Charleston Law Review
- CALI Awards: Partnership Taxation, Legal Research and Writing I, Historic Preservation Law, South Carolina Family Law
- Charleston Law Moot Court Board
- Panelist, Maynard Nexsen Opportunity Zone Seminar: Venturing into the Land of OZ, May 2019 - Charleston, SC
- 08.19.2022 | Media Mention
- 08.18.2022 | Firm News
- 08.24.2021 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- 01.09.2020 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- State Bar: South Carolina