John represents leading financial services and insurance institutions in high-stakes cases involving a wide variety of coverage lines, including professional and commercial liability, life, disability, and property coverage. His practice focuses primarily on the bad faith arena. He has litigated cases at the trial and appellate levels throughout the Southeast and across the country.
Prior to joining Maynard, John clerked for the Honorable Emmett R. Cox on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. As a law student, he served as Georgia Law Review’s Editor in Chief.
Before attending law school, John worked as a congressional aide and concentrated on health policy issues.
- Strickland v. Broome, No. 19-60176, 2020 WL 2280218 (5th Cir. May 7, 2020) (affirming dismissal of breach of fiduciary duty and constructive claims in action involving disputed payment of life insurance proceeds)
- Hartford Cas. Ins. Co. v. Gelshenen, 387 F. Supp. 3d 634 (W.D.N.C. 2019), aff’d sub nom. Hartford Cas. Ins. Co. v. Davis & Gelshenen, LLP, 801 F. App'x 915 (4th Cir. 2020) – Obtained judgment on the pleadings in trial court and affirmance on appeal that insurer had no duty to defend or indemnify policyholder in putative class action for alleged violation of Driver’s Privacy Protection Act. See also Hartford Cas. Ins. Co. v. Greve, No. 3:17CV183-GCM, 2017 WL 5557669 (W.D.N.C. Nov. 17, 2017), aff’d sub nom. Hartford Cas. Ins. Co. v. Ted A. Greve & Assocs., PA, 742 F. App’x 738 (4th Cir. 2018); Hartford Cas. Ins. v. Swapp Law, PLLC, 358 F. Supp. 3d 1210 (D. Utah 2018)
- Coast Inv. Grp., LLC v. Twin City Fire Ins. Co., No. 8:15-CV-359-T-36TGW, 2016 WL 4690392 (M.D. Fla. Jan. 29, 2016), aff'd sub nom. Abel Band, Chartered v. Twin City Fire Ins. Co., 686 F. App'x 834 (11th Cir. 2017) (affirming judgment on the pleadings that insurer had no duty to defend or indemnity insured under professional liability policy)
- Am. Gen. Life Ins. Co. v. Harshman, No. CV 2013-129-WOB-REW, 2015 WL 5474177 (E.D. Ky. Sept. 17, 2015) (granting summary judgment for insurer in action involving contested life insurance claim)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants (2024)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Insurance Law, Litigation - Banking and Finance (2021- 2023)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in Insurance Coverage (2017 - present)
- State Bar: Alabama, Georgia
- Senior Judge, Emmett Ripley Cox
United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, 2011-2012