As a Board Certified Specialist in Commercial Real Property Law, Jay DeVaney has nearly 5 decades of experience in real estate transactions, commercial real estate lending, and real property litigation/land use. From this experience, Jay understands the intricacies of any issue related to the financing and development of commercial real estate.
Because of this blend of transactional and litigation skills, Jay knows how and where to protect a client’s interest. Jay has earned the respect of his peers in his election as a Fellow to the American College of Real Estate Lawyers and the American College of Mortgage Attorneys. He has been listed continuously among the Best Lawyers in America since 2001 and has been named among the North Carolina Super Lawyers.
Most importantly, it is the respect and admiration of his clients that motivate Jay in his practice. Whether the engagement involves the construction of a new project, complex financing for an existing or new project, or acquisition or counseling a client with respect to the complexity of real property litigation, foreclosure receiverships, condemnation, or land use issues, Jay can complement his client’s best advisers in finding key solutions to facilitate the client’s objectives.
Community & Professional
- Fellow American College of Real Estate Lawyers, Member of the Board of Directors and Committee Chair
- Fellow American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- Board Certified Specialist – Real Property Commercial, Industrial and Commercial Transactions
- Chairman of Board of Directors of Habitat for Humanity of Greater Greensboro, previous Committee Chair
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of Greensboro Central YMCA
- Best Lawyers in America; Super Lawyers in North Carolina
- Past Chairman of the North Carolina Bar Association Real Property Section
- Past Member of the North Carolina Bar Association Board of Governors
Outside Maynard Nexsen
Volunteer & DIY-er
"My passion is building. I have participated in building over 20 houses for Habitat for Humanity in Greensboro, New Orleans, and Las Vegas. I also spend a good deal of my free time re-building decks, docks, and related projects of my own."
Jay's recent successes include:
Successfully defended a multi-million dollar lender liability lawsuit brought by one of the State’s most aggressive plaintiff’s lawyers and secured a multi-million dollar judgment on a counterclaim for my bank client against the plaintiffs.
Closed a 40 million dollar acquisition and development loan for a national retailer distribution facility, including state and local incentives.
Represented an EB-5 lender in a multi-phase 205 million dollar loan secured by a national equestrian facility, a jobs generator.
- Received Martindale-Hubbell's Preeminate AV Rating, The Gold Standard Award for Highest Possible Rating in both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for "Lawyer of the Year" for Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law in Greensboro, N.C. in 2019
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Real Estate Law, Litigation-Real Estate, and Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law since 2001
- North Carolina Super Lawyers® for Real Estate Law (2006-2017)
- Elite Lawyers of North Carolina (2004, 2006-2009)
- Named in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in Real Estate Law (2009)
- Martindale- Hubbell AV Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence
Author of many articles for American College of Real Estate Lawyers and North Carolina Bar Association on secured lending and land use. I am a co-author of a national publication: State by State Guide to Commercial Real Estate Leases.
- 08.18.2022 | Firm News
- 02.26.2020 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- 11.19.2019 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- State Bar: North Carolina, Virginia, Washington, D.C.