Commercial litigation involving complex financial, accounting, lending and/or contractual issues, together with corporate counseling that involves contract formation and regulation of insurers and environmental concerns.
Prior to Maynard
Following graduation from the University of Alabama, Mr. Priester interned with Lloyd's of London and developed a keen interest in insurance and financial matters, which complemented his undergraduate studies and set the stage for much of his professional interest as a lawyer.
Mr. Priester served as law clerk to the Honorable Seybourn H. Lynne, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama.
Mr. Priester recently served as Chief Legal Officer of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama, which included oversight of the company's external affairs.
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- The Kings Ranch and Hannah Homes, Past Chair and Board Member
- Birmingham Zoo, Board Member
- Jim represents Alabama's largest health insurer/payor, which he is currently defending in several nationwide and statewide class actions pending in federal and state court in Alabama. These matters include suits alleging violation of Section 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act. He previously defended the same company in federal court that resulted in a published opinion dismissing claims that the company had violated Section 2 of the Sherman Act.
- Jim also represents the Alabama affiliate of the nation's largest waste management company, which has included successfully defending the company at a trial against business tort claims, counseling on Commerce Clause issues, representation before local governments, and developing and executing strategies for public hearings and competitive situations. Mr. Priester also represents one of the largest community banks in Alabama in lender liability and other banking litigation. He has advised several financial institutions regarding rights and obligations under Loan Participation Agreements. His general litigation practice often involves post-acquisition disputes between the buyer and the seller.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Health Care Law (2009-present); Commercial Litigation (2008-present), Litigation: Banking and Finance (2016-present); Antitrust Law (2018, 2021-present)
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" for Antitrust Law (2022)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Business/Corporate (2017-present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Business Litigation (2009-2010, 2022)
- Martindale Hubbell AV ® - Preeminent Rating
- Recognized as a "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation
- State Bar: Alabama