Greg is the Chairman of the Firm and a member of the Corporate and Business Transactions Practice. For more than 30 years, Greg has advised clients through all types of complex business matters and strategic transactions. The clients Greg represents span multiple industry sectors and include privately held and publicly traded companies, emerging growth and start-up businesses, family-owned businesses, private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies, and venture capital investors. While a heavy concentration of the clients that Greg serves are headquartered in the southeast, many of them have multiple subsidiaries and global operations.
A large number of Greg’s clients turn to him for all of their corporate needs, ranging from questions regarding routine administration to counsel on critical governance issues or crisis management. He regularly communicates with business owners, leaders, and in-house counsel to provide strategic business planning and legal advice. With client service at the forefront of Greg’s practice, he anticipates his clients’ needs and often enlists his fellow colleagues with expertise in other vital areas including tax and business structures, employee benefits and executive compensation, commercial finance, intellectual property, and cybersecurity and privacy. He has the experience to provide clients with comprehensive guidance through virtually all aspects of their business operations and assist with decisions impacting short- and long-term objectives.
In his transaction practice, Greg has served as lead counsel on hundreds of deals ranging in value from several million dollars to more than one billion dollars. Whether the client is a buyer or a seller, a family-owned business or a global corporation, Greg works closely with each client to ensure that the decision is sound, and the deal is properly structured to deliver the best results. He represents buyers and sellers across a wide array of industries, including manufacturing and other heavy industries, healthcare, technology, financial services, transportation and distribution.
Greg's successes have earned him numerous accolades, including his distinguished Band 1 ranking as a Leading Corporate Practitioner by Chambers and Partners. The Best Lawyers in America© recognizes him across multiple areas, including Corporate Law, Corporate Governance and Compliance Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Securities Law, and Venture Capital Law. Greg is frequently tapped by Best Lawyers® as "Lawyer of the Year," including most recently in 2023 for Venture Capital Law, in 2021 for Corporate Governance Law, in 2020 for Corporate Law, and in 2019 and 2022 for Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law.
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Birmingham Business Alliance, Chairman of the Board (2022 and 2023); Vice Chairman of Public Policy (2018)
- Downtown Rotary Club
- Junior Achievement, Board of Directors
- United Way of Central Alabama, Board of Directors (Member)
- UAB Research Foundation Board (Member)
- Greater Birmingham Convention & Visitors Bureau, Board of Directors
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Practitioner in the area of Corporate Law (2004 - present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Corporate Compliance Law, Corporate Governance Law, Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Private Funds/Hedge Funds Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, Securities Regulation Law, Venture Capital Law (2006-present)
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" in Venture Capital Law (2023); Corporate Governance Law (2021); Corporate Law (2020); Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law (2019, 2022); Securities/Capital Markets Law (2017); Corporate Compliance Law (2010, 2015, 2024)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Governance & Compliance, Securities & Corporate Finance (2008-present)
- Distinguished as “The Best of the Bar” for 2020 by the Birmingham Business Journal
- Birmingham Business Journal's Most Influential Executives (2018-present)
- B-Metro, Selected as a Top Attorney (2020)
- Birmingham Magazine's "Top Corporate Finance and Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyer" (2011, 2013)
- Birmingham Business Journal's "Best of Bar" for Corporate & Securities (2006)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
- 08.17.2023 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- State Bar: Alabama