Maynard Nexsen's Distressed Property & Workouts Group was created to provide the resources, skills, and experience necessary for clients to manage emerging issues during periods of economic and financial uncertainty.
Comprised of attorneys deeply experienced in commercial real estate, finance, bankruptcy and creditor rights, this practice concentrates on the acquisition, disposition, restructuring and development of troubled properties. We represent owners, sellers, investors, and buyers, as well as companies affected by the global financial crisis.
Our team includes nearly 50 attorneys whose experience goes back more than 35 years and who have dealt with matters and concerns related to every major financial crisis during that time, including:
- A direct, hands-on understanding of virtually all types of real estate assets
- Negotiating and structuring complex real estate transactions
- Counseling borrowers and lenders on foreclosures, deeds in lieu of foreclosures, negotiated restructurings, workouts, and receiverships
- Developing, negotiating, and executing reorganization strategies for at-risk properties
- Enforcing lien rights in out-of-court restructurings and Chapter 11 cases
- Identifying ways for clients to take advantage of opportunities that distressed properties may provide
- Assistance in buying troubled properties, purchasing loans, and emerging from the bankruptcy and foreclosure processes
- Maximizing the distressed debt opportunities related to real estate
- Rapid response to due diligence requirements, including banking and environmental matters
Highly experienced lawyers
Lawyers in the Distressed Property and Workout Practice Group have earned a national reputation for their skills and professionalism.
Legal publisher Chambers & Partners named two of our real estate attorneys among the best in South Carolina, and members of the team have been listed in Best Lawyers in America in real estate, bankruptcy, creditor-debtor rights, public finance, and environmental law. Chambers also has rated Maynard Nexsen’s real estate practice No. 1 in South Carolina and ranked us the state’s No. 1 business firm.
Our Distressed Property and Workout Practice Group attorneys are drawn from the firm's real estate, finance, and bankruptcy and creditor's rights practices.