Yolanda Davis Brisco’s practice focuses on the areas of economic development and corporate law. As part of the firm's economic development team, she helps clients navigate state and local economic incentive programs. In addition, she supports corporate clients in transactional matters including entity structure and formation, corporate governance, commercial contracts, and general corporate law with an emphasis on small businesses and nonprofit and exempt organizations.
Prior to joining the firm, Yolanda spent more than a decade in the accounting and nonprofit industries as a consultant and the real estate industry as a Realtor®/Broker licensed in North and South Carolina. As a nonprofit and accounting consultant, she advised a diverse group of nonprofits and small businesses in 501(c)(3) nonprofit administration and management; and business financial management. Her clients included sports philanthropists, human services organizations, private foundations, churches and other religious organizations, schools, financial counseling and money management organizations, community development corporations, startup charities, and small businesses such as a gift boutique, marketing and media company, technology firm, and online fashion boutique.
Yolanda received a B.S. degree, magna cum laude, in Biology and minor in Chemistry from Winston-Salem State University and an M.S. degree in Accountancy from the Wayne Calloway School of Business and Accountancy at Wake Forest University. After obtaining her masters, she worked for a "Big 4" public accounting firm as a Fortune 500 Business Assurance and Advisory Services professional. Thereafter, she obtained a Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Management from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and received her J.D. from Campbell University, Norman A. Wiggins School of Law.
Community & Professional
- North Carolina Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section
- North Carolina Association of Women Attorneys
- John S. Leary Association of Black Attorneys
- National Association of Black Accountants
- Davis Academy, Board Chair
- North Carolina Economic Development Association
- American Bar Association, Commission on Women in the Profession, Former Committee Member
- Center for Women in Law (University of Texas School of Law), Research Study on the Law School Experiences of Women of Color, Former Advisory Board Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Education Law Section, Former Council Member
Outside Maynard Nexsen
Yolanda’s life outside the firm is filled with foodie adventures, sports, and travel with her husband. You can find her attending sporting events to cheer on the teams at each of her alma maters, as well as her husband’s beloved LSU tigers, and the Charlotte Hornets. When she’s not enjoying a sporting event, she’s pursuing her passion for food, culture, and travel; reading a good book; or spending time with family and friends.
Active in the community, Yolanda co-founded and currently chairs the board of Davis Academy, a nonprofit dedicated to promoting equity in public schools with focus on restorative practices and community schools.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch for Corporate Law, & Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2023
- Charlotte Business Journal 40 Under 40, 2021 – CBJ’s signature awards program which spotlights individuals who are making a difference in their careers and communities
- National Black Lawyers Association Top 40 under 40 in North Carolina, 2020, 2021, and 2022 – an honor given to attorneys who exemplify superior qualifications, leadership skills, and performance in legal practice; as well as promote diversity
- Winston-Salem State University Forty Under 40, 2021 – celebration of young alumni professionals who are making positive changes in the world
- Campbell Law 45th Anniversary Alumni Spotlight, 2021 – 45 Campbell Law alumni who are living out the university’s motto “leading with purpose”
- Featured in Women to KNOW in North Carolina Volume One 2022 Collection
- 08.18.2022 | Firm News
- 08.23.2021 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- 02.22.2021 | Video
- 08.27.2020 | Media Mention
- 04.29.2020 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- 05.13.2019 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- 03.17.2022 | Article
In honor of Black History Month, we are highlighting leaders who have made an impact on business, community, and law. Today, Charlotte attorney Yolanda N. Davis shares the accomplishments and influence of Dorothy Counts-Scoggins.
Attorneys Chris Kouri and Yolanda Davis discuss strategic opportunities for growth, expansion and relocation.
- State Bar: North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas
- United States Tax Court