Stephen’s practice is national in scope and includes representation of buyers, sellers, developers, landlords, and tenants in all types of real estate matters, including acquisition, development, financing, and leasing matters. Stephen also represents airports and Fixed Base Operators in airport transactional matters and banks and borrowers in commercial and industrial, and real estate lending transactions, including mortgage and construction financing for various asset classes.
Stephen has received numerous distinctions for his talents and work as an attorney, including the coveted ranking by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business as a Leading Practitioner in Real Estate Law, a distinction he has earned every year since 2013. He is also consistently listed in Super Lawyers and The Best Lawyers in America©.
Stephen and his wife, Allison, reside in Birmingham with their two boys, Henry and Bo.
Community & Professional
- International Council of Shopping Centers, member
- Airport Council International, member
- American Bar Association, Real Property and Business Law Sections
- United Way's Financial Services Division, member 2012-2015, Campaign Chair - 2015
- United Way's Tocqueville New Member Team - 2018
- Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Corporate Campaign Leadership Team - 2020
- Community Task Force on Youth and Technology
- Represents Regions Bank in the acquisition, development and leasing of bank facilities as well as the sale of surplus properties
- Represent Boise Cascade in the acquisition and management of its industrial property portfolio nationwide.
- Represent MainStreet Family Care in the development of urgent care clinics throughout the Southeast.
- Represented a national bank in the re-finance of a portfolio of 35 restaurants in nine states
- Represented the City of Birmingham in the development of its new minor league baseball stadium
- Represents Birmingham Airport Authority in regulatory compliance, hanger leasing, cargo, procurement and real estate matters
- Represented MAP Development in the $50,000,000 acquisition, redevelopment and subsequent sale of the 50-acre site of the Southeast's first indoor shopping mall
- Represented Regions Bank in $60 million sale and partial leaseback of a 140,000 square foot office tower in Miami, Florida
- Represent Shannon Waltchack fund in the acquisition and leasing of neighborhood shopping centers throughout the southeast and midwest
- Represented a pension plan in the lease-up of Alabama's tallest office building.
- Recognized by Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Alabama, Real Estate (2013-Present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Banking and Finance Law and Real Estate Law (2012-Present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Real Estate (2016-Present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Real Estate (2014-Present)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
- State Bar: Alabama