Efficient and responsive service are fundamentals of Mark Knight's practice. This philosophy has guided his counsel on mergers and acquisitions worth more than $1 billion and more than 50 capital-formation transactions.
Typical engagements include:
- Structuring and implementing acquisitions, mergers, divestitures, reorganizations, dissolutions, control contests, recapitalizations
- Development of, and compliance for, private securities offerings
- Structuring and negotiating licensing of intellectual property and related rights
- Commercial contract preparation and review, including supply chain agreement
- Managing other highly complex business transactions
Mark is an active leader in the South Carolina Bar’s legislative committees involving limited liability company, limited partnership, and securities law issues. He frequently speaks on various topics related to his practice and has published articles on limited partnerships and commercial law in the USC Law Review.
Innovation and Accolades
Mark has been a leader in South Carolina's growing innovation community, working closely with start ups through InnoVenture - a platform creating a pipeline for innovators and ideas - for ten years. Mark served as legal chair of InnoVenture from its inception through 2014.
His work and dedication to his clients have earned him a number of notable achievements. He has been consistently recognized as a Band 1 mergers and acquisition lawyer in Chambers USA since the 2009 edition. In the 2020 edition, he was the only Band 1 lawyer recognized.
Best Lawyers has named Mark the 2019 Securities Regulation "Lawyer of the Year", the 2017 “Lawyer of the Year” for Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” for Corporate Law, the 2014 Mergers and Acquisitions "Lawyer of the Year", 2013 Securities/Capital Markets "Lawyer of the Year", the 2012 Corporate "Lawyer of the Year", and the 2010 Merger and Acquisition "Lawyer of the Year" for Columbia, South Carolina. He has been listed among the Best Lawyers in America for Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Securities Law since 2003.
Additionally, Mark was named "Legal Elite" of the Midlands for Corporate Business Law and participated in an exploratory business and goodwill delegation to Vietnam and Myanmar for the Center for Global Strategies in 2006.
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association
- 2004-2014: Legal chair for InnoVenture innovation and resource platform
- 2011-2013: Steering Committee for Przirembel Prize for collaborative innovation
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar
- South Carolina Investor Network
Outside Maynard Nexsen
Mark and his family have been SCUBA diving for years. They travel to dive locations like Bonaire at least once a year. When he's not under water, you might find Mark in the Upstate cheering on the Furman Paladins. He was a high school athlete and actively follows Furman as well as Clemson, Oregon and the University of South Carolina where his children attended. Says Mark, "After you write enough tuition checks, you find your sports loyalties tag-along."
Mark has been a Deacon, Sunday school teacher, and member of the Sanctuary Choir at St. Andrews Baptist Church, and is a co-founder of Vista Fellowship and Midtown Fellowship, all located in Columbia, South Carolina. He also leads a missional community (house church) initiative in Columbia.
- "Legal Elite of the Midlands" - Corporate Business Law
- Recognized by Chambers USA, Band 1, Corporate/M&A, South Carolina (2003 - present)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law and Securities Regulation, Since 2003
- Listed in Best Lawyers "Lawyer of the Year" for Securities / Capital Markets Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Law in Columbia, S.C. in 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated AV Preeminent
- Recognized by IFLR1000, 2019
Each year from 2004-2014, Mark has taken part in the InnoVenture Conference in Greenville, SC. In May of 2012 and 2013, he presented on the Jobs Act, which provides for significant changes to America's securities law.
- 08.19.2022 | Media Mention
- 08.18.2022 | Firm News
- 08.17.2021 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- State Bar: South Carolina