Rusty is a Shareholder and Member of several practice groups in Maynard Nexsen's Litigation Section.
A major component of his practice is defending financial institutions against claims asserted in state and federal courts and arbitration proceedings nationwide. He has represented state and regional banks, investment banking firms, and several national brokerage firms in a wide variety of cases. Rusty has represented financial services clients in litigation arising out of transactions involving consumer and commercial loans, securities offerings, and securities brokerage accounts. He also defends companies and corporate executives in securities class action litigation and investor litigation in state and federal court.
Rusty also devotes much of his practice to fiduciary litigation involving disputes arising out of trusts or estates. Often, this litigation involves defending bank trust departments who are sued by trust customers and beneficiaries or representing trustees who are neutral participants in disputes between trustees and beneficiaries. He also represents individuals and families in disputes involving the administration of trusts and estates. Best Lawyers® named Rusty the 2017 "Lawyer of the Year" for Trusts and Estates Litigation, a distinction given to only one attorney in each geographic area.
In addition to his primary practice areas, Rusty has represented clients in various technology-related litigation matters, including the representation of two Chief Executive Officers of publicly traded companies in Internet defamation cases, as well as a company in a dispute over the ownership of an Internet domain name. He also represented an Alabama computer manufacturer in a commercial lawsuit against a large chip manufacturer involving antitrust and patent issues.
Rusty has also defended a number of cases filed as nationwide or statewide consumer class actions against insurance companies, lending institutions, and the manufacturer of an over-the-counter drug. He practices in the area of healthcare litigation, and has represented local hospitals and healthcare providers around the state in litigation matters involving issues or employment, patient care, patient privacy, and medical staff credentialing issues.
Rusty is rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, and he is consistently recognized by Best Lawyers in America© and Super Lawyers for his talents and success as a litigator.
He earned his J.D. from the University of Alabama School of Law, and he holds a B.A. from the University of South Alabama.
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Church of the Highlands, Elder
- Safe Harbor Ministry, Board of Directors
- Vestavia Hills City Schools Foundation, Board of Directors
- Big Brother/Big Sister of Birmingham
- Project Corporate Leadership program
- Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation Law, Litigation: Securities Law, and Litigation: Trusts and Estates Law (2008-present)
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" in Litigation: Securities (2022), Litigation: Trusts and Estates (2017)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Business Litigation, Estate and Trust Litigation (2016-present)
- B-Metro, Selected as a Top Attorney (2020)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Estate and Trust Litigation, Business Litigation (2011-2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
- State Bar: Alabama
- Honorable Seybourn H. Lynne
United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama from 1985-1986