John is a Shareholder and member of the Health Care practice at Maynard Nexsen.
John counsels hospitals and physician groups regarding regulatory and compliance matters. He represents clients on matters involving federal and state agencies (CMS, Medicaid, licensing agencies), fraud and abuse, reimbursement, the 340B Drug Pricing Program, HIPAA, privacy and security breaches, EMTALA and medical staff issues. John frequently speaks to hospital and physician groups on regulatory issues. He is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association, as well as the Health Law Section of the American Bar Association.
John regularly counsels his clients regarding the following:
- Fraud and abuse (including the Anti-Kickback Statute)
- Stark Law
- Medical staff bylaws and credentialing matters
- Professional services and employment agreements with physicians
- Medicare reimbursement
- 340B Drug Pricing Program
- Clinical research and institutional review boards
- HIPAA Privacy/Security
- Corporate structure and governance
- Medicare certification
- State licensure
- The Joint Commission
- Asset purchases and other significant transactions, including joint ventures
- Hospital and physician group management and organization
- Development and maintenance of corporate compliance programs
- Internal and external audits and investigations
- Governmental investigations
Community & Professional
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Medical Staff Credentialing and Peer Review
- Regulation, Accreditation and Payment
- Health Information and Technology
- Alabama State Bar Association, Health Law, BusinessLaw and Corporate Counsel Sections
- Birmingham Bar Association
- BTI Client Service All-Star (2022)
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in Health Care Law (2018-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Health Care Law (2012 - present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers, "Rising Star" in Health Care (2010, 2012-2013, 2015)
- Spring 2022, The OrthoForum Annual Conference, “The OrthoForum Value Network, Legal Considerations"
- Fall 2021, Alabama Health Law Seminar, “Valuations: AKS and Stark Considerations for Value-based Care"
- Spring 2019, MedAxiom Annual Conference, “Wearable Devices and Operational Remote Monitoring, Legal Considerations"
- April 2018: "Start-Up Basics" for UAB Commercialization Accelorator, Birmingham, AL
- February 2018: "Exit Preparation - Begin with the End in Mind" for Founders Advisors and Merrill Lynch CEO Breakfast Forum, Birmingham, AL
- October 27-29, 2016, Presenter at the Signature Medical Group's Annual BPCI Conference, Dallas, TX
- June 9-11, 2016, American College of Surgeons Annual Conference - Alabama and Mississippi Chapters, co-presented with Lauren DeMoss "Healthcare Legal Update: Alternative Payment Methodologies, Recent Regulatory Changes, and Audit Plans"
- February 19, 2016, Client presentation, “HIPAA Training and Employee Compliance Education”
- February 15, 2016, Client presentation, “Annual Regulatory Update and Health Care Compliance Issues”
- September 28, 2015, Warren Averett Healthcare Symposium, “Top Legal Issues for 2015”
- May 8, 2015, Alabama Healthcare Executives Forum, “Recent Medicare Innovation and Compliance Risks”
- State Bar: Alabama