Jim advises lenders, investors, developers, and public and private companies in a broad range of complex real estate and economic development transactions. With a background that spans more than three decades, he helps clients navigate the development and acquisition of retail, industrial, and commercial properties.
Jim has a distinct understanding of state and local tax economic incentives that can help his clients find the right location and optimal benefit for their projects. He is also well-versed in real estate litigation, financing, leasing, tax-deferred exchanges, and contributions of properties.
Although Jim has practiced in the Upstate area for more than 20 years, his knowledge and experience extend throughout the southeastern market and across the nation. He has been recognized by Chambers, Martindale-Hubbell, Super Lawyers, and Legal Elite on a number of occasions for Real Estate Law and was named the Greenville Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in 2013.
Jim earned his undergraduate degree from Duke University, magna cum laude, and his J.D. from Vanderbilt University Law School. He is admitted to practice in South Carolina and Georgia.
Community & Professional
- Board of Trustees, Chairperson, Buncombe United Methodist Church, Present
- South Carolina State Ethics Commission, Commissioner, 2014-2017
- Greenville County Bar Association: formerly served as President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, head of Law Week committee, and editor of the Greenville County Bar Association newsletter.
- Chair of the Upstate Region of South Carolina District Council of the Urban Land Institute, 2016-2017
- Graduate of the Urban Land Institute South Carolina Sustainable Leadership Institute, Class of 2008-2009
- Adjunct Professor, Master of Real Estate Program, Commercial Real Estate, Clemson University, 2016-2019
- Represented a private developer in connection with all aspects of the development and construction of a LEED-certified multi-story office building located on the campus of the Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research in Greenville.
- Represented a large publicly traded company in the development of a master planned corporate campus.
- Performed economic incentive work for an out-of-state manufacturer in connection with a project investment in excess of $100 million.
- Named in Greenville Business Magazine, 50 Most Influential, 2022
- Listed in Real Estate Attorneys Power List, SC Biz Magazine, 2022
- Recognized by TALK Greenville Magazine, Top Lawyers, 2022
- Economic Development "Lawyer of the Year" for Greenville by Best Lawyers, 2020
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for "Lawyer of the Year" for Real Estate in Greenville, S.C., in 2013
- Greenville Business Magazine's Legal Elite of the Upstate, 2012-2019, 2022
- Recognized by Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, South Carolina, Real Estate (2011 - Present)
- Listed in South Carolina Super Lawyers (2011, 2013 - Present)
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell since 2008
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law and Real Estate Law, Since 2005
- Speaker, Industrial, and Commercial Realtors Continuing Education Seminar, May 2023
- Coauthoring the Practical Guide to Commercial Real Estate in South Carolina, author of "Commercial Leasing"
chapter update for 2023.
- The Post-COVID Office Workplace – The Office is Here to Stay, August 2020
- Jim Warren Discusses Where Real Estate Companies Should Focus Their Efforts, May 2020
- Led Realtors Continuing Education Seminar, Dealing with out-of-state buyers and sellers and SC Commercial
Real Estate Contracts, May 2020
- Practical Guide to Commercial Real Estate in South Carolina, Published by South Carolina Bar Association,
Author of "Commercial Leasing" chapter, 2012
- Speaker, "The Commercial Real Estate Market is Alive & Kicking! Are You Prepared?" SC Bar CLE Seminar,
- Member, Legal Opinion Committee of the Real Property Law Section, State Bar of Georgia, 1995-1998
- 04.12.2023 | Media Mention
- 01.04.2023 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- 08.19.2022 | Media Mention
- 08.18.2022 | Firm News
- 08.17.2021 | News from Maynard Nexsen
Attorney Jim Warren offers steps for economic development organizations who are looking to invest in the Carolinas.
Across the Carolinas, the food and beverage industry is growing, and the hospitality and tourism sectors are benefitting from that growth, too. Join Nexsen Pruet for an industry update highlighting trends, challenges, and recent successes.
- State Bar: South Carolina, Georgia