Giles Schanen is a versatile trial lawyer and counselor with over 20 years of experience in successfully resolving high-stakes disputes in the areas of employment law, trade secret and non-compete litigation, product liability, and commercial litigation.
Giles has defended businesses in state and federal courts across the United States, including in South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Massachusetts, New York, Alabama, Texas, Arizona, Missouri, New Mexico, California, Delaware, and Illinois. In Giles’ employment practice, he also regularly represents management before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and other state and federal agencies and conducts investigations into alleged harassment, discrimination, and other misconduct claims.
While Giles excels in the courtroom, he also understands the importance of helping his clients resolve disputes efficiently. He works collaboratively with each client to develop a strategy that accounts for the client’s specific goals and business realities.
Giles is a trusted advisor for his clients on employment and other business-related matters. He is committed to maintaining a high level of communication with his clients and providing practical advice that considers not only legal implications but also the potential impact on the client’s business.
Giles also is a leader in the legal community. He currently serves as the president of the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association, the preeminent defense organization in the state.
Community & Professional
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Permanent Member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association (President, 2023)
- American Bar Association
- DRI - Lawyers Representing Business
- South Carolina Bar
- Greenville County Bar
- Greenville Society for Human Resources Management
- American Partnership for Eosinophilic Disorders (Board Secretary)
- Clemson Football P.A.W. Journey - Mentor
- Member, United States Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel (2011, 2014, 2016)
Outside Maynard Nexsen
Giles is a native of Greenwood, South Carolina. He and his wife, Christine, are the parents of two sons. Giles is active in his church and in many other community activities. Giles enjoys playing golf and is an avid fan of the Clemson Tigers.
Has advised and defended management in a wide variety of employment matters, including discrimination and retaliation under federal and state equal employment opportunity laws, workplace harassment, non–compete and trade secret violations, wage and hour issues, employee benefits, contract disputes, corporate investigations, and risk management.
- Has coordinated discovery and technical issues on a national basis for a leading product manufacturer in the automotive industry.
- Obtained dismissal of federal court product liability suits in Florida, North Carolina, and South Carolina against global pocket lighter manufacturer.
- Obtained summary judgment for industrial food service repair company on plaintiff’s claims for breach of contract, fraud, and violations of securities laws, and obtained an award of attorney’s fees against plaintiff.
- Obtained summary judgment and attorney’s fees award on claims that the alleged mismanagement of a company by directors and officers resulted in losses of more than $10,000,000.
- Jury trial on claims by a large fiber manufacturer that a former employee invented valuable fiber technology on company time, and thus the technology belonged to the company.
- Jury trial on claims that a national restaurant chain’s activities concerning the design and development of a commercial product violated the South Carolina Trade Secrets Act.
- Jury trial on patent infringement suit against a global fabric manufacturer.
- Requests for injunctive relief based on alleged violations of restrictive covenants and alleged disclosure of trade secrets.
- Lawsuit alleging that insufficient internal safety procedures resulted in the death of an independent contractor.
- State and federal lawsuits alleging negligence in the design and manufacture of consumer and commercial products resulting in serious injury or death.
- Claim that a company’s termination of a distributorship agreement violated federal RICO statute.
- Has taught and published in the areas of employment law, trade secrets, electronic discovery, and litigation awareness.
- Recognized by TALK Greenville Magazine, Top Lawyers, 2023
- Recognized as “Legal Elite of the Upstate” by Greenville Business Magazine in the areas of Labor and Employment (2020) and Employment-Defendant (2022, 2023)
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Litigation - Labor and Employment (2023) and Product Liability Litigation (2020-2023)
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- S.C. Super Lawyers Rising Star, Civil Litigation Defense (2014-2016)
- S.C. Supreme Court Pro Bono Honor Roll (2020, 2021)
- 07.10.2023 | News from Maynard Nexsen
- State Bar: South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court: South Carolina