Emily is an Associate in Maynard Nexsen’s Insurance and Financial Services Litigation Practice Group. Emily’s practice focuses on defending insurance companies and other financial institutions in a variety of complex litigation matters throughout the U.S. She regularly advises these companies on matters involving various coverage lines including life, disability, and property coverage. Emily’s practice also encompasses managed care litigation as she regularly represents payors in arbitration disputes brought by a wide spectrum of providers and participants.
In addition to her work in insurance litigation, Emily has substantial experience assisting employers in all aspects of general labor and employment matters arising in the workplace.
Emily earned her J.D. from Wake Forest University School of Law where she served as Business and Online Editor of The Wake Forest Journal of Business and Intellectual Property Law and President of Women in Law. She holds a B.A. in English and a minor in Spanish from the University of Georgia, where she graduated magna cum laude.
Community & Professional
- Childcare Resources, Junior Board Member
- Alabama Bar Young Lawyers Division
- Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division
- Kid One Transport 2020 Krewe of Vulcan member
- Member of the Young Lawyers Division of the Alabama Bar and Florida Bar
- Currently representing an insurer on almost two dozen lawsuits in the Southern District of Florida arising out of alleged violations of the Medicare Secondary Payer Act.
- Currently defending a nationwide managed care organization in almost two dozen arbitration matters spanning from California to New York.
- Currently representing a nationwide insurer in various breach of contract and bad faith litigation in Alabama state and federal court.
- Currently representing a nationwide insurer in several pieces of UM/UIM coverage litigation in the Southeast.
- Regularly represents various nationwide insurance carriers throughout the U.S. in all aspects of coverage-related litigation in state and federal courts, including drafting notice of removals, pleadings, dispositive motions, including summary judgment motions, as well as all aspects of written discovery.
- Conducted all aspects of pre and post-trial litigation, including drafting pre-trial motions, responding to discovery, assisting in deposition and witness preparation, drafting post-trial brief as second chair on elected OSHA trials.
- Represented global auto-manufacturing client in all aspects of warranty litigation.
- Assisted and traveled to defend management during union organizing campaigns in Alabama, California, and Illinois.
- Assisted employers throughout the U.S. with internal investigations, employee disciplinary decisions, personnel handbooks and policies, workplace training, and other personnel matters.
- State Bar: Alabama, Florida, New York, South Carolina, Tennessee
- U.S. District Court: Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern), Florida (Northern, Middle, Southern), New York (Southern), Tennessee (Eastern, Middle, Western)
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Fourth Circuit, Eleventh Circuit