From the time that Danny joined legacy Maynard Cooper & Gale in 1987, he made important and enduring contributions to the life of the Firm, both personally and professionally. As a former president of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), Danny was a legend in his profession. He was dedicated in his service to his clients and generous in sharing his wisdom and expertise with his colleagues, to whom he was a treasured mentor, colleague and friend.
Danny was a Shareholder and member of the Firm’s Estate, Trust & Business Planning, Tax, and Fiduciary Trust & Estate Litigation practice groups. He earned an LL.M. from Harvard University, LL.B. from the University of Alabama, and an A.B. from Washington and Lee University. Danny spent more than 50 years providing clients with solutions to issues regarding their business, family, tax, and estate planning, as well as developing and implementing innovative plans to protect their business and personal interests. His skills and talents earned numerous accolades, the most recent of which was his Band 1 ranking by Chambers and Partners in "Private Wealth Law."
Danny’s list of distinguished clients included family-owned businesses and other privately held businesses and their owners, entrepreneurs, nonprofit and exempt organizations, corporate and individual fiduciaries, and individuals.
Unlike other lawyers, Danny did not just proclaim to have a tax background; rather, he leveraged his honed tax experience with his keen knowledge of the business climate and the nuances of income, gift, and estate tax planning every day in his practice.
Areas in which Danny counseled and advised his clients included:
- Business, financial, and estate planning
- Concentrated stock positions, stock options, and restricted stocks
- Wealth management
- Charitable trusts and planned giving
- Business succession planning and post-mortem planning
- Business and family limited partnerships, LLCs, and S corporations
- IRAs and qualified plans, including ESOPs
- Planning with life insurance
- Ante-nuptial agreements
Danny served to the rank of Captain with the United States Army Military Assistance Command Vietnam, and he was awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. As noted, he was the Past President of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), a professional association comprised of approximately 2,600 lawyers throughout the United States, Canada, and other jurisdictions around the world selected as Fellows based on their reputation and skills in the areas of trusts and estates and their contributions to these areas through lecturing, writing, and teaching. He was also a Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel and a former Trustee of the American Institute on Federal Taxation. Danny had numerous published works, and was a frequent lecturer at tax and estate planning conferences throughout the country.
Community & Professional
- Lex Mundi, former member of governing board
- American Bar Association
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Past President
- American College of Tax Counsel, Fellow
- American Institute on Federal Taxation, former Trustee
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Estate Planning Council of Birmingham, former President
- University of Alabama Federal Tax Clinic, former member of governing board
- Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, former member of governing board
- Eye Foundation, Inc., former member of governing board
- International Retinal Research Foundation, former member of governing board
- Legal Aid Society of Birmingham, former member of governing board
- Leadership Alabama
- Chambers and Partners HNW Guide: The World's Leading High Net-Worth Advisors, Band 1 Leading Individual for "Private Wealth Law" (2017-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Corporate Law, Litigation and Controversy: Tax, Litigation: Trusts and Estates, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, Tax Law, Trusts and Estates (1983-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Estate & Probate (2008-2017)
- Birmingham Business Journal's Best of Bar 2006 in Tax
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
- Birmingham Business Journal "Veterans of Influence" Honoree (2017)
- Birmingham Business Journal's "Best of Bar" (2021)
- State Bar: Alabama