Charles is an experienced litigator and partner in the Firm's Insurance and Financial Services Litigation Practice and ERISA Practice. He represents life, health, and disability insurers in a diverse range of disputes, from breach of contract and bad faith claims, including punitive damages allegations, to various manner of ERISA-governed litigation involving employee welfare benefit plans. He handles on behalf of carriers litigation concerning unfair competition claims, fraud/misrepresentation, coverage disputes, claims handling practices, as well as claims concerning insurance-related investment products. Charles also has significant experience litigating and advising clients in connection with various business and commercial matters, contractual disputes, and general corporate matters. He has successfully represented clients in all phases of litigation, from the pre-litigation stage through final resolution and appeal, in both state and federal courts.
Charles began his legal career at a prominent law firm in Los Angeles, where his practice included major injury, premises liability, wrongful death, product defect, and mass tort actions. Prior to joining the firm, Charles was a partner in the Los Angeles office of one of California’s oldest law firms.
Community & Professional
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- John M. Langston Bar Association
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- DRI Life, Health and Disability Committee
- California Minority Counsel Program (CMCP)
- Advised and successfully represented insurers in high-exposure insurance coverage disputes, claims for bad faith and punitive damages in state and federal courts.
- Defended insurer in multi-party, 8-figure insurance bad faith action in federal court alleging failure to pay death benefits which also involved conducting international discovery through the Hague Evidence Convention.
- Obtained summary judgment and complete dismissal of all claims including breach of contract and bad faith on behalf of insurer relating to rescission of 7-figure disability insurance policy for material misrepresentations and omissions on the disability insurance application.
- Successfully resolved on behalf of insurers multiple actions involving rescission, lapse and reinstatement, reformation, fraud/misrepresentations by applicants/insureds, claims for unfair competition, actions related to alleged agent misconduct, interpleaders, declaratory relief actions, etc.
- Defended insurers and welfare benefit plans in various manner of ERISA claims for benefits, coverage disputes, equitable relief, and actions alleging breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Obtained summary judgment and complete dismissal of all claims against insurer in action alleging various ERISA violations as well as seeking equitable relief related to 7-figure life insurance claim.
- Represented insurer in bankruptcy adversary proceedings involving claims brought by unsecured creditors.
- Represented life, health and disability insurers at state and federal appellate courts.
- Successfully obtained complete dismissal of all claims with prejudice on demurrer on behalf of advertising agency client in case alleging breach of contract.
Among his reported cases Include:
- Perez v. Unum Life Ins. Co. of Am., 2022 WL 6173217 (N.D. Cal. Oct. 7, 2022)
- Luzzi v. Unum Life Ins. Co. of Am., 2020 WL 945406 (C.D. Cal. Jan. 3, 2020), affirmed by the Ninth Circuit, 836 Fed.Appx. 570 (9th Cir. Feb. 12, 2021)
- Gill v. Unum Life Ins. Co. of Am., 2020 WL 6868832 (N.D. Cal. Nov. 23, 2020)
- Hammatt v. Standard Ins. Co., et al., 2018 WL 3357522 (C.D. Cal. June 11, 2018)
- Schonbak v. Minnesota Life Ins. Co., 2017 WL 10591660 (S.D. Cal. Dec. 28, 2017), reconsideration granted, 2018 WL 6257185 (S.D. Cal. May 7, 2018)
- Haber v. Reliance Standard Life Ins. Co., 2016 WL 4154917 (C.D. Cal. Aug. 4, 2016)
- Prudential Ins. Co. of Am. v. Brimberry, 2014 WL 3502671 (C.D. Cal. July 11, 2014), affirmed by Ninth Circuit, 653 Fed.Appx. 561 (9th Cir. June 30, 2016)
- Recognized "Rising Star" by Southern California Super Lawyers
- State Bar: California
- U.S. District Court: California (Central, Eastern, Northern, Southern)
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Ninth Circuit
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Otis D. Wright II, U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable John Shepard Wiley, Jr., Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles (now a justice on the California Court of Appeal)