Angela is an experienced attorney with a demonstrated history in healthcare real estate law both as in-house counsel and in private practice. Skilled in real estate investment trusts (REIT), corporate transactions, operational risk management, commercial real estate, and general contract law, Angela brings 20+ years of experience with a deep concentration in medical office buildings, life science, senior housing, and specialty office sectors. She leads and collaborates with deal teams to close acquisitions, sales, development projects, leases, and other projects. Angela practices out of Maynard Nexsen’s Nashville office serving clients across the U.S. and Southeast.
Prior to Maynard, Angela was Senior Vice President and Deputy General Counsel for a significant healthcare REIT with $20 billion of owned real estate. For 17 years, she led the legal function including acquisition, sale, financing, and development transactions ranging from approximately $1,000,000 to $100,000,000. In addition, she had oversite of drafting, negotiation, execution, implementation, and enforcement of more than 5,000 leases and maintenance of nearly 1,000 subsidiary entities.
Angela’s background also includes time within the real estate practices of two southeastern law firms. Early in her career, she was instrumental in forming a Nashville-based real estate company and affiliated companies to own approximately 116 MOBs spun off by HCA.
Angela received her B.A. in English and Psychology from Vanderbilt University. She received her J.D. from Emory University School of Law.
- General Counsel of significant healthcare REIT with $20 billion of owned real estate
- Oversaw drafting, negotiation, execution, implementation, and enforcement of more than 5,000 leases and related documents for a significant healthcare REIT
- Administered use of approximately 200 document forms in connection with quality control procedures
- Maintained nearly 1,000 subsidiary entities
- Led legal function on acquisition, sale, financing, and development transactions ranging from approximately $1,000,000 to $100,000,000
- Advised third party property management personnel, facility operators, and leasing agents regarding real estate matters, reporting requirements, efficiency initiatives, SOX compliance, use restrictions, third party consents, easements, condemnations, energy procurement contracts, antenna and cable licenses, ground leases, title, and survey issues, master leases, lender obligations, and declarations of covenants
- Handled collection of delinquent A/R by pursuing amicable resolution or tenant eviction and collection actions as needed; obtained and pursued collection of judgments; worked with asset managers to establish appropriate collection strategy on a case-by-case basis, filed bankruptcy claims and other documents as needed
- Negotiated regulatory disclosures and representations (e.g., Stark, Anti-Kickback) with hospitals and other large health system tenants
- Created leasing and asset management policies, forms, and procedures for 116-MOB portfolio
- Municipal/land use law experience working with local Board of Zoning Appeals and City Commissioners
- State Bar: Tennessee