Stephen is a Shareholder in Maynard Nexsen’s Immigration Practice. He is an experienced attorney who works closely with his clients to develop strategies to maximize their immediate and long-term immigration plans. By evaluating each foreign national’s credentials, travel history, and ultimate immigration goals, Stephen helps his clients obtain the most advantageous arrangements for entry and stay in the United States.
Stephen represents professional and specialized knowledge workers, foreign nationals with exceptional ability, foreign nationals with U.S. family ties, and domestic and international businesses across the globe. He handles a variety of employment-based sponsorship cases (EB-1, EB-2, EB-2 NIW, EB-3), family-based sponsorship cases (IR, F1, F2A, F2B), and nonimmigrant work visas for companies hiring foreign national talent (H-1B, E-1, E-2, L-1, TN, O-1). Stephen provides immigration advice and representation to companies and professionals in numerous industries, including hospitality, manufacturing, healthcare, information technology, higher education, financial services, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology. He communicates with his clients constantly to keep them apprised of changes in the applicable regulations that could affect their pending and future immigration matters.
Stephen also advises businesses regarding immigration compliance. This includes conducting internal Form I-9 audits and H-2B audits and advising companies regarding prevailing wage obligations for their foreign national employees. Stephen represents businesses in immigration-focused investigations initiated by the U.S. Department of Labor, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Community & Professional
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- National Children's Advocacy Center, Board of Directors (2017-2022)
- Assisted a European-based logistics and transport services company establish its first plant in the United States and transferred a substantial number of managerial, executive, and specialized knowledge employees who were responsible for their startup operations.
- Coordinated the transition of approximately 200 foreign national employees (H-1B, TN, F-1, E-3, and L-1) from a publicly-traded software company to a new privately-owned entity.
- Obtained multiple O-1 (extraordinary ability) visas for experts in the fields of academia, science and technology, business and philanthropy.
- Represented clients in the manufacturing, staffing, hospitality, and construction industries in audits conducted by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, U.S. Department of Labor and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Employment Law – Management (2020 - present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in General Litigation, Immigration: Business (2016 - Present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in Immigration: Business and General Litigation (2014-2015)
10/26/18: "Immigration Update," 64th Annual Human Resources Management Conference (Birmingham, AL)
10/11/18 : “Immigration in the Workplace: Overcoming Challenges in the New Era of Heightened Enforcement,” 4th Annual Human Resources & Management Workshop (Hanceville, AL)
- State Bar: Alabama
- Honorable Inge P. Johnson
United States District Judge for the Northern District of Alabama