As Chair of Maynard Nexsen’s Cybersecurity & Privacy Practice, J.T. leads a diverse, deep bench of attorneys and technologists that handle a wide spectrum of cybersecurity and privacy issues on behalf of companies across the globe. J.T. began his career as a commercial litigator before becoming one of the early pioneers in the field of cybersecurity law. He is a founding member of the Sedona Conference Working Group on Data Security and Privacy Liability and is a frequent speaker on emerging issues in cybersecurity regulation and data breach litigation.
For more than a decade, J.T. has been lead counsel on over 500 cybersecurity incidents and has defended companies before the FTC, SEC, CFPB, NYSDFS, and European Data Protection Authorities. He has litigated multiple data breach cases in the United States.
J.T. is known for bringing a practical, strategic approach to the table. He understands these issues need to be evaluated with the broader business context in mind and has an uncanny ability to frame these issues for the different audiences between the board room and the server room.
- Directing overall response to cybersecurity incidents
- Initiating and directing proactive cybersecurity and privacy risk assessments
- Developing and implementing compliance programs
- Defending companies in regulatory investigations and class action litigation
- Providing strategic advice on new and existing business initiatives
- Primary relationship partner with cyber insurance carriers and brokers
- Recognized by Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Nationwide, Privacy & Data Security, USA, 2023
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" for Privacy and Data Security Law (2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Privacy and Data Security Law (2020 - present), Electronic Discovery and Information Management Law (2021-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Business Litigation (2016-present)
- Birmingham Business Journal's "Rising Star Lawyers" (2017)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Business Litigation (2015)
- Alabama Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in Business Litigation (2011-2014)
- Blog, 04.10.2018
- State Bar: Alabama, New York
- U.S. District Court: Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern)
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Eleventh Circuit