Janet Shires has more than 25 years of legal experience focused on the areas of Tax and Corporate Law. Her career began with small firms and as a sole practitioner, and she served as General Counsel for the NC Property Tax Commission from 1994-2017. Janet regularly represents clients before the North Carolina Property Tax Commission.
As General Counsel, Janet oversaw the publishing of all Property Tax Commission final decisions and orders. She also revised all forms, publications and memorandums explaining property tax law and its policies and procedures to an audience that included taxpayers, attorneys and stakeholders. Her work included the publication of the Property Tax Commission Policy and Procedures Manual. Lastly she was counsel to the NC Department of Revenue on complex property tax issues.
Community & Professional
North Carolina State Bar
North Carolina Bar Association (Tax Section)
Wake County Bar Association
Lifetime Alumni of Campbell University, Norman A. Wiggins School of Law
Outside Maynard Nexsen
In her free time, Janet enjoys gardening and the outdoors.
- Counsel for NC Department of Revenue on all questions concerning G.S. 105-228.29 (Excise Tax on Conveyances)
- Ethics Liaison for the NC Property Tax Commission as required by the State Ethics Commission
- NC Department of Revenue and Property Tax Commission Designated Rule Making Coordinator
Founded the Jerry D. Lee and Louise B. Lee Memorial Law School Scholarship, Campbell University, Norman A. Wiggins School of Law, an academic scholarship for students from Harnett County, NC in memory of her parents.
- Author of "Facing property revaluation? Here's what you need to know." (January 2019)
- Presenter and Guest Speaker at the North Carolina and South Carolina Bar Tax Association Meetings
- Presenter and Guest Speaker at the National Conference of State Tax Law Judges on topics and updates concerning complex property tax issues and litigation, North Carolina property tax law, Property Tax Commission final decisions and orders, North Carolina Court of Appeals and Supreme Court Opinions
- State Bar: North Carolina